The club runs beginners’ courses in the summer to teach the basic skills of archery. Courses are run in accordance with the Grand National Archery Society (GNAS) requirements and guidelines and last for six weeks; they are run by qualified Coaches. The minimum age we can accept on the beginners course is 11 years old.
All the equipment you need is provided by the club. At the end of the course the beginner will have been taught the essential safety requirements to protect themselves, and others from harm. He/she should be able to shoot a recurve bow with reasonable confidence and skill
The 2018 beginners courses are now full, the next courses will be run in the summer of 2019. The beginners course dates for 2019 will be posted on the website during the spring.
Course fees are £45 for all applicants.
Dress Code Jewellery & Footwear
Dress regulations are in place for your own comfort and safety:
- Long hair should be secured out of the way.
- Wear close fitting clothes that will not catch on the bow string. Avoid loose sleeves and baggy collars, cardigans and sleeves.
- Shoes should have enclosed toes so you do not stub against arrows buried. Flip flops, sandals and open toes shoes will not be allowed.
- Remove all facial piercings and upper body piercings. (If these get caught in the bow string it will be very painful)!
- Avoid wearing dangly earrings, loose bracelets & necklaces, for the same reason.
- For Summer outdoor courses, bring a warm jumper and a waterproof.
Joining the Club
Upon successfully completing the course, if you decide to pursue archery and join the club, membership fees are due. The current annual fees are:
- Senior : £130
- Juniors (under 21 yrs): £60
You are strongly advised NOT to buy your own equipment straight away. The club will happily loan the equipment you have been using throughout the beginners course FREE OF CHARGE. Once you decide to get your own equipment then a member of the Club will be happy to advise you on your purchase. You don’t want to waste money on unsuitable equipment.
Once you have finished your Beginners’ Course, these Next Steps will help you to understand the wonderful world of Archery. Please feel free to ask any member of the Club if you are unsure about anything – they are always willing to give any advice.
Read our quick overview of Archery information